I haven’t been piping flowers for the past few months and this is probably my first this year. I don’t have flower tips or flower nail (yet) in the UK so I couldn’t pipe flowers. I also haven’t been baking for about a month already and I’m finally back to it again!
Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe from The Hummingbird
60g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
20g cocoa powder
40ml red food colouring
1/2tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
1/2tsp baking soda
1 1/2tsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170C. Cream butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Turn mixer to high speed and slowly add in egg till well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, food colouring and vanilla extract till a thick paste forms. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly till evenly combined.
- Turn the mixer down to slow and add in half of the buttermilk. Beat until well mixed, and then add in half the flour till well incorporated. Repeat this until all the buttermilk and flour have been incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat till smooth. Turn down to slow speed and add the baking soda and vinegar. Beat until well mixed and turn up the speed and beat for a couple more minutes.
- Spoon into cases about 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.